Summer Rowing Camp
Registration for 2015 Summer Camp - NOW OPEN!!
The College of William and Mary Summer Rowing Camp prides itself on offering a superior, lengthier, and more affordable summer rowing camp experience than just about any other program nationwide. Our rowing camp is for intermediate (at least 1 semester of competitive rowing/coxing) or advanced (rowers will need a note/recommendation from their coach or previously attended a W&M summer camp) rowers/coxswains aged 13-18, and costs $650 for the 6 days of rowing camp. Each session will be coed, and campers will participate in meals and the evenings' activities together, but will practice and room separately. Camp will begin Sunday evening with check-in and introductions, and will culminate the following Friday afternoon with an intra-camp race. For the duration of the William and Mary Rowing Camp rowers will room in William and Mary dorms (2 per room), eat three meals a day in the college's dining halls, and practice at the college's indoor and outdoor rowing facilities, which include the Student Recreation Center the new Tack Family Boathouse.
While at camp, rowers will practice twice daily with the William and Mary Varsity coaches, Jason Mitchell and Graham Ludmer, who will focus on a different aspect of the rowing stroke or recovery at each practice. Our rowing focuses on the instruction and technique of sweep rowing. Before heading out on the water, rowers and coxswains will be provided with a well-articulated breakdown and explanation of that practice's focus including any subtle nuances demanding special attention. Such a thorough breakdown and explanation will be employed in order to help rowers better understand the physics behind rowing, what rowing coaches look for from their athletes and boats, and why they look for it. Our coaches will engage rowers and coxswains at practice with the help of dockside rowers, form-specific drills, and after practice video analysis. Our coaches will also discuss the many different levels of collegiate rowing, and the opportunities provided to student-athletes at those collegiate programs.
In addition to the strong focus on rowing form and conditioning, campers will be introduced to life at William and Mary, the second-oldest college in the nation, in a well-supervised and structured atmosphere. On top of all the rowing activities campers will have planned nightly group activities such going to the movies and playing capture the flag on old campus, boat Jeopardy, and other games.
Intermediate Rowing Camp Week 1: July 12-17
Click below for Boys Week 1 Registration
Click below for Girls Week 1 Registration
Intermediate Rowing Camp Week 2: July 19-24
Click below for Boys Week 2 Registration
Click below for Girls Week 2 Registration
Advanced Rowing Camp Week 3**: July 26-31
*Note to register for this week of rowing camp, you will need to include a recommendation email/note from your coach or previously attended a W&M summer rowing camp. Erg scores do not need to be included.
Click below for Boys Week 3 Registration
Click below for Girls Week 3 Registration
- This will be the first day of camp (July 12th, 19th or 26th) from 2:30pm-5:00pm at the dorm in which the campers will be staying. Additional info will be provided closer to your camp start date camp.
- The last day of camp (17th,23rd or 31st) at the Tack Family Boathouse. Parents are encouraged to arrive at the boathouse early to check out where the campers have been rowing all week and watch the end of camp scrimmage.
Pick-up and Drop-off can be arranged at local airport/bus/train locations.
W&M Summer Camp Rules and Expectations
- Campers will be expected to be courteous and respectful to all other campers, William and Mary student-athletes, and coaches at all times.
- Campers are not allowed to possess weapons, illegal drugs, alcohol, or cigarettes.
- No theft, fighting, endangering the safety of others, or leaving camp without permission.
- No refunds will be given after 30 days prior to the beginning of camp.
- Refunds will otherwise be given, minus a $100 non-refundable administration fee, by contacting the Camp Director.
Mandatory Camp Forms
- To complete your camp registration, use PayPal (linked above) or mail a check (payable to William and Mary Rowing) for $650 to the address listed below. In addition, complete the Authorization for Self Administration of Medication by Camper (if applicable), Emergency Contact Information, Release of Liability and Rower Information Form, which are all linked below. The Rower Information Form can be filled out online after paying through PayPal or completed and sent with the other forms. The forms (and payment) must be received no later than 10 days prior to the start of camp, and you may either email the forms to the Camp Director, or mail them to address listed below:
William and Mary Rowing Club
Student Rec Center, Box 8795
Williamsburg, Virginia 23187
- Upon receiving your rowing camp registration, we will send out an email to verify your spot at camp within approximately 3 business days.
- An orientation packet will then be sent out 1 month before camps begin, which will include a camp schedule and other basic information.
- Please check your email regularly. All camp information will be sent via the e-mail address used when signing up for the camp. (Please check spam folder for our corresponding emails)
- Click here for directions to campus
Please click the Buttons below to download the necessary forms for camp.